Macbeth is an adapted Upper level reader written by William Shakespeare. This classic witchcraft and murder playscript about the story of Macbeth and his bloody rise to power is one of Shakespeare’s darkest works. Macbeths past leads him to a world of guilt and madness which ruins his marriage and ends in tragedy.
Macbeth: If I do it, then I must do it quickly.
But will this murder be enough? Will it bring success?
Or will more problems follow?
No man avoids the judgement that's to come
And I'll be judged in this world too.
Shakespeare's Scottish story of magic and murder is one of his darkest works. Macbeth's bloody rise to power is encourages by his wife, Lady Macbeth. Their ambition leads them into a world of guilt and madness which destroys their marriage - and engs in tragedy.
This Macmillan Reader is written as a playscript and includes original extracts from "Macbeth".
- Extra grammar and vocabulary exercises
- Notes about the story
- Notes about the life of William Shakespeare
- Points for Understanding comprehension questions
- Glossary of diffcult vocabulary
- Free resources including worksheets, tests and author data sheets at www.macmillanenglish.com/readers